When Changing Your Diet or Doing A Cleanse You May Have What’s Called A Healing Crisis or Herx Reaction
When a person begins using herbs and begins to make healthier food choices they may have a healing crisis indicating they are starting the detoxification process. Most people stop using the herbs as they think the herbs were making things worse. It’s really the exact opposite and they would be wise to return to those herbs, usually starting at a lower dosage and then increasing back to the suggested amount, to ride out the cleansing and healing process.
Many people are caught off guard and fail to understand and interpret the symptoms and changes which follow a change to a healthier lifestyle. Many of these symptoms and changes are unpleasant but they are short in duration and are sporadic and are a necessary part of the healing process.
Here are 8 reasons why this may happen:
- The body and mind begin to show changes because the quality of nutrients coming into the body is of higher, quality than the tissue of which the body is made. The body begins to discard the lower grade materials to make room for the superior materials. The discarding of the material can come through the bowel causing diarrhea, through the kidney causing back ache, through the respiratory system causing a cold or through the skin causing boils, acne, rashes, psoriasis, etc.
- Indigestion, heartburn, flatulence, bloating and burping usually starts soon after you start herbs. This happens because your body is not used to digesting these nutrients which often indicates that you have been deficient of these nutrients for a long time. The body’s digestion usually improves in a week or two. Taking the herbs with meals or with papaya mints will often help.
- Suppressed body functions will be stimulated to detoxify the body, sometimes inducing colds, diarrhea, fevers, swelling, acne, boils and vomiting. This is temporary and is part of the healing process. The body will return to at least the same level of health as before if not superior health UNLESS you do something to suppress this progress.
- Nervousness, headaches, fatigue, irritability and depression often happen when you cut out any artificial stimulants such as sugar, chocolate, coffee, tea, soda, tobacco, caffeine or recreational drugs. You will not get the desired result if you substitute one artificial stimulant for another. It is important at this time to rest and sleep more. Once the artificial stimulants are eliminated the body is ready for the building process. The energy of a healthy, well-nourished body is superior to any artificial stimulant.
- Moderate weight fluctuations often occurs (either weight loss or weight gain). If you continue the healthier lifestyle the weight will stabilize.
- Skin eruptions, warts, boils or acne. The skin is the largest eliminating organ, so the concept of toxins coming out through the skin is easily understood, even if it is hard to face.
- Aches, pains and arthritis will often get stirred up, even if you haven’t been suffering with it for years. This happens because uric acid and toxins aggravate these conditions as they are cleansed from the body.
- Fevers are not uncommon when dormant bacteria and virus are being cleaned out.
This sounds discouraging, but the healing crisis doesn’t last very long and the benefits of cleaning the body of these toxins and disease elements are vitally important. These bacteria, virus or toxins are going to show up sooner or later. You can either have a healthy body handle them on your terms or it will come out when it overpowers your weakened body. It is better to go through small healing crises than a full blown health crisis.
Be sure and read my post,5 Tips To Support Your Lymphatic System & Ease Your Candida Cleanse for things you can do to improve the detoxification process.
If you are in doubt about whether what you are experiencing is a normal part of healing seek professional guidance.